[filmscanners] Re: Fw: Re: Nikon LS-4000ED Depth of FieldRevisited

>Is the auto strip feeder in the LS4000 significantly different in design
>to the LS30/2000?  I stopped using it when I found out that strips tended
>to curl in the machine, and the frames at the end of a neg strip ended up
>horribly out of focus on one side.  It worked ok on frames in the middle
>of a strip.

yes it is.

whereas in the LS30/2000 the film feeder rolled up the film at the
end of the self-contained unit into one tiny little roll, the LS-4000
has a completely different design with its strip feeder. I can only
speak with certainty about the LS-4000 since that is what I have.

With the LS-4000, the path of the film is set to go straight
*through* the film scanner to the other end where a roll-film
attachment can be attached to handle spools of up to 40 frames
(standard 36 frame roll of film). Even when it isn't being used to
handle long strips of film, because there is more leeway at the back
of the scanner, so long as the film is relatively flat when it enters
the scanner, it will stay flat. The scanner will not make it more
curly like it did with the PITA LS-30 strip film feeder attachment.

hth,

Dieder