From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Alessandro Pardi
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2003 2:56 AM
To: bkubiak@attbi.com
Subject: [filmscanners] Scanner fluid on flatbeds?

I would like to know if anyone has experience of using scanner mounting
fluids with flatbeds. These products (Kami produces one of the most popular)
are made to mount film on drum scanners, but I know of people that uses them
to place film on the glass of flatbeds. Reportedly this eliminates Newton
rings and scratches, and (on drum scanners) gives better
sharpness/resolution.
Since my Epson 3200 gives *slightly* better results with film on glass
rather than in its own carrier (except that I get Newton rings), I'm tempted
to try this Kami thing, but given that the difference isn't that big, I'm
reluctant to waste money and time (and possibly mess up with cleaning film
and/or scanner glass), unless it's really worth it.

Any first hand reports out there?

PS - I already lay the film emulsion down, but Portra400 BW is so smooth
that I get Newtons. So I guess that anti-Newtong glass is out of the
question, as I understand that I should sandwich the film between two pieces
of glass, thus lifting the film up from the scanner glass level. I also read
about anti-Newton glass somewhat degrading scan quality.

Thanks all in advance,
Alessandro