[filmscanners] Re: JPEG2000/PNG on PS7.0 and PSP8.0

Robert Logan wrote:

> PNG takes a 48 bit TIFF and reduces it
> by about 30% - no colour loss, no compression
> loss.

> JP2 (fnord) takes a 48 bit TIFF and reduces
> it by about 15% - again, no colour loss
> and no compression loss.

the above was on one image - so I left my machine
crunching for the last 3 hours ...

Ok, my 1st proper analysis of compression with
JPEG2000 on a full roll of film. Saving with
the 'fnord' JP2 plugin in PHotoshop, of 20
30Mb-50Mb files, 48 bit scans, and using the
'fnord'  Super PNG plugin on the same files
(and then PNGcrushing them) gives the following
results.

Orig TIFF = 850 Mb
JPEG 2000 = 747 Mb
PNG/crush = 758 Mb

The JPEG 2000 is better, over a good analysis,
and saves the colour profile data too. I will now
move to archiving totally in JP2 ... after a long
wait from y2K.

bert