[filmscanners] Re: OT - Epson 1280 ink "monitor"...

The ink monitors estimate the ink usage.  How accurately is open to some
debate.

Your #3 option is where the ink is going, as all the heads are purges
each time the ink cleaning cycles occurs, unless you are doing it via
software, which may (depending upon the model) offer one head cleaning.

These purging cycles do use up ink, I think I read about 2-4% per
cycles, depending upon which type of cycle the machine goes through.

If indeed you only use black ink for this printer, you may want to
replace the color cartridge with a refill unit that has just cleaning
liquid in it, if that won't harm the heads long-term.  It will keep the
color head from clogging and save cost of ink.

Art