[filmscanners] Re: Canon IDs vs Pentax 67II

On Saturday, February 8, 2003, at 04:02  PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

>> From: Karl Schulmeisters
>>
>> There is another aspect of digicams that should be driving their
>> prices
>> lower than they have been so far:
>>
>> Shutter cycle life.  The best shutters in the world have a
>> theoretical cycle
>> life of around 300,000 cycles.  Practical shutter life spans are
>> closer to
>> 150,000-200,000.    So on a $2000 digicam, that works out to be around
>> $0.01-0.02/shot.   Digital has a tendency to encourage 'blaze-o-matic'
>> approaches to photography because of the perception that 'film is
>> free'.
>
> I'm not sure if this is true, because digicams don't rely upon the
> mechanical shutter to do all the work. I think they have a simple
> shutter
> that opens up for a comparatively long time, but then they rely upon
> the
> electronics in the CCD to sample the light for a much shorter period.
> Those
> shutters may therefore be more reliable than the fancy focal-plane
> moving-curtain shutters used in SLRs.
>
> --
>
> Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul                mailto:pderocco@ix.netcom.com

And on the other hand there is certainly an awareness that the camera
will be technologically obsolete in a couple of years due to rapid
development.  Why design a shutter that will last longer than the
useful life of the camera?

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA