[filmscanners] Re: Canon IDs vs Pentax 67II

Basically, cameras have become electronic devices with lenses.  They are
following a similar curve in depreciation, not only because of the
perceived fact that they are obsolete more quickly, but because of the
fact that they are not repairable, or cost a fortune to do so, and are
basically not as reliable as they used to be.  Rolex watches still fetch
a good price because pretty much any of them can be repaired.  In this
"make it so it can be tossed away when it breaks" mentality with most
goods, including cameras, people are just not willing to pay big bucks
(or pounds for that matter) for used electronic gear that can't be
tested fully and can't be trusted against catastrophic failure.  It used
to be you could have a mechanic test a camera and if it test good you
were 80% sure it was a worthwhile investment that, taken care of, would
give you years of value.  Today, even one that's been tested, can fail
suddenly and put you back more that its value in a repair, if it can be
repaired.

Also, a well made mechanical camera body could be had for $250 US 15-20
years ago in NYC, today, expect to pay $1500 for a similar quality
"electronic" model.

Anyone have a suggestion about whether I should keep my hardly ever used
Hasselblad or just sell it now?

Art