[filmscanners] RE: Digital camera topics on this list (was: Canon IDs vs Pentax67II)

Hi Bob,

> I wonder
> if this list could or should be broadened to encompass advanced
> digital camera discussion -- cameras that compete with film and
> contemporary film scanners such as the Nikon LS-40, 4/8000 and
> Polaroid 4000?

I see a problem with the word "compete".  For me, there is no competition,
they each have advantages and disadvantages for different applications.
>From what I can tell, there seems to be a "need" for justification by people
who use digital cameras claiming they are better than film, and vice versa
with scanners, when (and only when ;-) people start bringing up digital
cameras.  At this point in time, because of this, I don't believe the two
coexist well together, on a list as this.

> If not, should there be another list?

There already are tons of lists for digital cameras.  There are generic ones
and ones that are camera specific.  There is also a DigitalBW list, and
quite a few of the members use digital cameras, and print digitally.

> My vote is for expanding this scope of this list, not dividing
> attention between two.

There are quite a few difference and quite a few
similarities...unfortunately, the camera manufacturers have isolated digital
camera users from a lot of these similarities. Digital cameras actually have
setpoints and tonal curves, just like a scanner does.  Histograms etc.  But,
from my participation in some digital camera lists, topics of similar
interest are little talked about, and a whole host of other issues are, like
memory, buffers, CF cards etc.

> I work with both film and digital.

Er, perhaps I'm mistaken, but that's not what you said.  I understood you to
say you did not work with film any more, hence, my comment.

> I've
> read a lot of good discussion and opinion on a large range of
> digital topics, scanner, CD archiving, and more -- things we face
> in the digital image world independent of the image capture
> mechanism.

Agreed.

You bring up a good topic, and certainly one I'd like to see further
discussion on.

Regards,

Austin