[filmscanners] Re: JPEG2000 > Paul

I imagine what may be slowing things up is that there is now a claim by
some company that they own prior rights to the basics that jpeg is
structured upon.  Apparently, they have already successfully demanded
and received some huge chunks of change from some larger Japanese
digital camera companies (I believe Sony is one).  I'm talking about
many millions (of dollars, not Yen).

The Jpeg group is fighting this, and the fact that they took so long to
recognize or reveal the infringement is IMHO suspect, but obviously they
were able to prove it to enough corporations that money has been flowing.

If I can find the link I'll post it, but this was news several months ago.

Art