[filmscanners] RE: JPEG2000 > Paul

> From: Julian Robinson
>
> Thanks Paul, that is really useful info.  I am keen on anything that
> reduces my 50MB files to 5MB with little loss, for all the obvious
> reasons.  I guess I need to try JPEG2000, and I will, but one
> last question
> on what you said, how slow IS it?  I mean, are we talking 1 sec, 10sec,
> 1minute or more to save a 50MB file?  I remember trying Genuine Fractals
> and giving it away because it was just too slow.

My 5MP digicam produces 28MB TIFFs. On my machine, loading a TIFF into PS
takes a little over 1.5 seconds (on the second try, so that it's in the disk
cache). A 3MB JPEG takes about the same time. A 3MB JPEG2000 takes about
nine seconds with the LuraWave plug-in. Saving the image as JPEG2000 takes
17 seconds, 5 seconds if I reduce to 8bpc first, and 2 seconds saving as
JPEG. So it's a pretty major speed hit. I'd be happy to find something
better, but as I may spend five minutes to half an hour editing an image,
it's not a really big deal.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco