[filmscanners] RE: DSLRs, film scans and color (was: is this about as good asitgets?)

> From: michael shaffer
>
>   For sure ... but I hadn't heard anything about ^any^ Dcam purposefully
> squashing it own sensor's gamut just for "looking good on the monitor".
> However, I suppose they did exactly that (for their consumer
> Dcams).  It is
> some consolation to realize (thanx Paul) other Dcams can deliver RGB to a
> larger gamut.  (Paul, which PS working space is your Minolta's gamut
> compareable to?)

I've also found that my DiMage 7 needs to have the contrast turned down a
little in order to extract the full dynamic range--I think they set the
default so that pictures have more "punch" to the untrained eye. I'd rather
restore the punch more carefully using Photoshop's Levels control, on each
individual image.

The gamut of the Minolta raw file isn't like any standard color space--both
the green and the blue primaries are way off the map. When you run it
through the converter program to make a 48-bit TIFF, you can select any
color space you want, so I usually use Adobe RGB.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco