[filmscanners] RE: DSLRs, film scans and color (was: is this about as good asitgets?)

Austin writes ...

> > It is said that film has a much larger gamut of accurate color than does
> > any DSLR ... but it begs the question, can this larger gamut be
> > scanned, not > only "accurately", but also completely?
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> What do you base that claim on?  To relate it to film scanners,
> are you also saying that a film scanner can't capture the
> entire "gamut" of color on film?

  I suppose I was posing the question(?)  My own experimentation with an
LS-2000, Vuescan and the Kodak target implied there wasn't much difference
between scanning into EktaspaceRGB or AdobeRGB ... whereas the anticipated
gamut would have suggested otherwise.  The basis of my opinion is that I
converted AdobeRGB to Ektaspace, and for the more saturated patches there
was insignificant differences for the RGB values ... implying the RGB values
were way inside the Ektaspace gamut. (which doesn't take into account Vs's
method of converting from its own device space for my scanner)

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)