[filmscanners] Epson 1250 scanner question

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Epson 1250 scanner question
  • From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:04:56 -0800

I recently picked up an Epson 1250 Photo 1200 x 2400 ppi scanner, mainly
for use of scanning some older medium format negs I have which I wanted
to get into digital format.  I got it at a good price since it is a
discontinued model.

The scanner does an OK job of the scans, although it is not designed to
scan medium format, but 35 mm slides and film.  As a result, the
software does not actually allow it to capture a full medium format
frame.  With most of the negs I have, a little cropping isn't that harmful.

I am using Epson TWAIN version 5.54A currently.  However, I did note
that they have a version 5.71A RevF on their website.  I am using the
USB 1.1 interface.  My main complaint about this scanner (in terms of my
needs) is the length of time it takes to both actuate the driver and the
time it takes to do a medium format scan at maximum res (about 6
minutes) with my Celeron 500 system.

Does anyone know if the new TWAIN driver is supposed to do anything to
speed up the scanner of the initiation of the driver when it is called
via Photoshop?  I could just install it, but I find often installs of
this type just scramble things, so if it isn't going to improve speed,
I'm planning to just return the scanner and wait for some USB 2.0
versions to come out at a decent price.  AS it is Epson Smart Panel
keeps on opening without any provocation, which is annoying enough, so I
hope to just remove the whole software installation if this scanner
won't run any faster.

Art