[filmscanners] RE: Spam Alert: Nitrogen gas

> From: Mike Kersenbrock
>
> This seems reasonable since air is about 79% nitrogen.  However it's
> "scary" because for this same reason, a nitrogen tank leak may not
> be detectable.  Do they "make" nitrogen with an inert trace "stink"?

For nitrogen to suffocate you, it would need to be present in sufficient
quantity to dilute the oxygen down to a level where it won't sustain life.
To do this in a small room would take enough nitrogen to displace the air in
the room several times over, since on release it would immediately mix with
the air. I don't see how this could happen with a small tank of nitrogen,
even if you were to uncork it and let it all pour out rapidly.

The only nitrogen suffocation stories I've heard have been about people
working near gigantic tanks of nitrogen, in the space program.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco