[filmscanners] Re: OT-Restoring rubber rollers on printers...

Carbon tetrachloride was taken off the market (and replaced with
Tri-chloro-ethane (TCE)) because it is a known carcinogen.  Of course,
in time they discovered that Tri-chloro-ethane was also a carcinogen,
and I believe it has also been pulled.  However, they still happily mess
around with per-chloro-ethane, or perc, which dry cleaner's solvent.
I'm betting it to is a carcinogen. The big advantage of all of these is
they are non-flammable under most circumstances, while acetone and
lacquer thinner, toluene and many others are very flammable if not
explosive, so they were supposed to be "safer"...

CFC or trichlorotrifluoroethane is also known as "Freon" found in older
refrigerators and air conditioners, and yes, it is indeed one of the
worse of the halogenated chemicals for damaging ozone.

Art

Art