[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest]filmscannersDigestforFri17 Jan, 2003

Its very much in your control.  If you want to get major spots out and
every last one, you will find it softens the image, but if you can do a
bit of clean up after the Dust & Scratch filter is finished, and you
haven't pushed it too hard, the images stay pretty sharp.

The software has too versions, a Photoshop plug in, and a stand alone.
The stand alone has more control, but is a bit more awkward to work with
and understand (make sure to read the read-me file, for some basics).
The stand alone can also allow for manual identification of scratches
and allows for you to touch them up separately.

It isn't perfect, (some images with a lot of intentional white or black
tiny spots may be altered too much) but its a good tool.  It allows for
looking for black or white spots (negative or positive source) and there
is an adaptive type of filtering which takes more time, but does a nicer
job.

As a free product, it is amazingly good at what it does.  Heck, it the
best I've seen at any price for a software based cleaning system.

Art