[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners DigestforFri17 Jan, 2003

There are two main causes for this type of "dirt".  Poorly filtered
chemistry, which may be overly replenished, leaving garbage stuck in the
emulsion as it dries, and the "salt and paper "grain" problem which
appears to be small bubbles produced in the development process in the
emulsion protective layer, which seems to be much more visible in harder
lighted scanners (Minolta, for instance).

This is where either IR cleaning or using something like the Polaroid
Dust and Scratch filter can help.  The Polaroid D&S filter isn't
perfect, but it does seem to catch a good number of the offending spots.

It works with any scanner since it is a non-hardware related software
product, and it is free to download from their website.  It is now
available for both PC and Macs, and it works for both positives and
negatives.

Art