From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Joe Tait
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 6:58 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Characterizing a scanner

I have MonacoPROOF and am trying to characterize a minolta dimage scan multi
pro
under OSX with both Vuescan and the minolta software. I currently only have
35mm Kodachrome IT8.7 slide to do this (despite the fact that we will be
scanning more Fuji Velvia/Provia than anything else).

Monaco rejects the scans I have made so far, and those are RAW 16bit scans,
converted to 8bit and not color corrected. Monaco says there is a problem
with
the shadow detail, obviously the raw scans are dark and I guess that is part
of
the problem.

I have always read that you want to characterize with as little settings as
possible, hence a RAW scan. Is this incorrect? What is the correct
procedure?

BTW, I would like to do just RAW 16bit, native res scans and edit in PS as
my
workflow.

Thanks.

-Joe