[filmscanners] RE: My best scanner/film combinations

Austin writes ...

> > > ...  Grain is a matter of resolution, not a
> > > matter of tonality.
> >
> >   ...  Assume 2 films ... both the same speed and
> > resolution, ...  To achive the same tonal range
> > by scanning, you need to ask the scan of the negative to
> > increase the contrast ... which will enhance the grain.
>
> Hi shAf,
>
> Certainly not if the scanner can't resolve the grain...  The increase in
> density range is handled by exposure time.  Nothing in the CCD-A/D path
> changes...just the time the light shines.  The light type the scanner uses
> also has a huge effect on grain, scratches etc.

  I would agree to dissagree on that point.  That is, if you do anything to
stretch a film's D=2.5 to an equivelent 3.0, you'll enhance the grain ...
whether it's more light or a longer exposure time.

> Also, the grain (dye) structure of negative film and chrome film is
> different.

  Yes ... this would be a difference which would not allow direct abx
comparisons.

> Do you (or anyone) have an example that shows what
> you say to be true?  ...

  That would be difficult ... I'm drawing gereralizations from some
experience with both, and the deduction which follows from increasing any
contrast.  The only thing which would not be enhanced by more light or a
longer exposure time is noise, and would instead be the opposite.

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)