From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of HPA
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 1:54 PM
To: cdober@ev1.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Sprintscan 4000 cleaning

By request, here is a re-post of how I accessed the mirror for cleaning
without dismantling the works.  I did remove the top cover, which pops
off after four catches on the bottom are sprung open.

The mirror of course hinges while scanning, so I turned on the scanner
power (with the lid removed), and pressed the power button, which sends
it through a cycle.  As soon as the mirror was fully exposed, i
unplugged the power cord.  This is when I was able to best get at the
mirror with the compressor hose.

Additional note: I did not have the problem with blowing dust from the
mirror to the lens, I was able to clean both from my vantage point.  I
did notice a huge difference in scan quality.  My unit was about six
months old new out of the box when I did this.
--
Thomas Robinson
441 NE Jarrett St.