[filmscanners] Re: How to label CD backups >Tim

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 04:23:33PM +1100, Julian Robinson wrote:
> At 15:23 06/11/02, you wrote:
> >Now, cases - the conservation guys recommend jewel cases made of
> >polypropylene or polycarbonate, CD's stored on edge. I don't think plastic
> >sleeves came up. I'm not sure you could find any that are archival?
>

> http://www.compupack.co.uk/detail.asp?productid=22 talks about "archival"
> polypropylene sleeves, and http://www.secol.co.uk/DS.htm has "inert
> polyester based disk pocket".
>
> Of course one man's "archival" is another man's "temporary", but these must
> have some characteristics that the manufacturers think make them more long
> term than something else they make.  Most normal sleeves seem to be vinyl
> based plastics.

Secol are a very reputable company for archival storage materials here in
the UK. They supply many of the museums with materials. Most of the products
they sell (all of which to my knowledge they manufacture themselves in their
own factory) are made from inert polyester (usually Mylar D) which is
generally considered one of the best archive materials available. They really
know their stuff and are very friendly and helpful if you call them to discuss
your needs.

I use various Secol sheets for all formats of my film. They are probably
one of the most expensive suppliers of archival storage sheets on the market
but the quality speaks for itself. I haven't yet decided whether to use their
recently introduced archival pages for CDs but this is almost entirely
because of the cost (a sleeve for a single CD costs more than the Kodak Ultima
disc going in it). IMO anything Secol produce would more than satisfy our
archival needs.

Another good company in the UK is Conservation By Design -
http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk (although badly designed and difficult
to navigate). They cater more to the larger museum-type establishment and
suppliers but they have a huge range top quality products.

--
Tony Terlecki
ajt@mrps.demon.co.uk