From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Laurie Solomon
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 9:51 PM
To: snsok@cox.net
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Suggestions for scanning 4x5 transparencies

What makes you think that printing grayscale using either the color inkset
to do it or even just the black ink from the inkset on inkjet paper would be
any different than printing in color other than the fact that there would
not be identifiable colors, althought the black may take on a color cast?
Be the inks pigmened or dye based, they are different than the dyes used in
and with photographic emulsions on either regular photographic papers or the
Ilfochrome papers.  While a high-end drum scan might help determine if it is
the printer or not, it may not be the sole factor if it does show some
difference.  Each type of media and process has its limits.  I think, if you
scanned the image in as a gray scale and converted it to RGB so the file
could be sent to a LightJet or a Chromira direct digital to photgraphic
print using Ilforchrome paper, you would find that the finished print would
be different in terms of snap and contrast than either the inkjet print or
the traditional Ilfochrome (if it were in color you would find that certain
colors did not have the same saturation as either the inkjet print or the
traditional Ilfochrome).

>The Epson printer did reproduce the grays much as we saw them on the
monitor.

Could that be because your monitor work space and printer profile were color
managed so that WSIWYG where as the monitor was not calibrated to a profile
for the Ilfochrome print (i.e., the paper, the dyes, the chemistry, and the
processing method specifics) so there was no WYSIWYG?

I am not trying to get on your case but only raising questions that need to
be attended to and researched.