[filmscanners] RE: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Anthony,

> The mistake engineers make is in believing that address spaces will be
> allocated sequentially starting with byte zero and ending with byte 2^N-1.
> But that's not how it actually works.  Engineers tend to assume
> that a given
> address space has "more space than anyone will ever need" and allocate the
> space in extremely wasteful but easy-to-code ways that cause it to be
> exhausted with alarming speed.

WHAT engineers are you talking about?  PROGRAMMERS?  Who says that
programmers are engineers?  They are not, or at least not all of them.

> Once the software is in place, it behaves like hardware.

What on earth are you talking about?  Sounds to me like you simply not
understand the difference between software and hardware, and how they
actually work.  Cobol is not applicable.

> Contrary to common
> myth, even though software is not hardwired into a machine, it is
> extraordinarily difficult to change, especially when loaded into
> hundreds of
> millions of machines around the world.  If this were not the
> case, we would
> have all moved to IPv6 overnight when IPv4 near exhaustion.

And how does that qualify the statement you made above?

> In the case of Windows NT and its successors, the problem is that the
> original engineers

Again, WHAT engineers?  You apparently mistakenly believe that ALL
programmers are engineers, and they are not.  Programmers are programmers.
Some programmers are engineers, but that is the exception to the rule.  Just
because you write code does not make you an engineer.

Austin