[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Andras writes:

> No. Applications get memory from the operating
> system kernel.

No, they do not.  In many systems, applications have free run of an entire
virtual address space, or nearly so, and can waste it to their heart's
content.  I've seen mainframe systems crash after a few weeks when
application systems (and the OS) exhausted 64-gigabyte virtual address
spaces.

> I have written linux kernel code myself ...

On the mainframes I've worked on, the Linux kernel would count as a small
subroutine.

> ... I know how easy it is to change things like
> this.

Indeed?  So what's your magic method for rolling out this change to, say,
ten million individual workstations located around the world?  And how do
you do this on, say, a large mainframe that cannot be taken down for any
reason, period?

> The comparison with IPv4 doesn't make sense
> because a kernel is private to a single computer
> only and can be changed at any time without
> affecting other computers ...

It's not a matter of affecting other computers, it's a matter of changing
millions of computers at once.  Even if they don't talk to each other, you
can't just throw out a new OS version one afternoon and have it installed
and running everywhere by dinner.