[filmscanners] Re: CMYK rant (was Digital Darkroom

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:43:34 +0200  Roger Eritja (eritja@terra.es) wrote:

>  Digital photographers are
> now being requested to perform most pre-press work (sometimes even
> including blind CMYK conversion) before sending their images to the
> publisher.

Yes, I've come across this, invariably from people who do not have a clue.
Well, they are the boss, but you'll get the blame and lose the client when
they fail to listen to protestations that generic CMYK is not a good idea.

OTOH if you insist that they'll have to tell you a bunch of parameters they
know nothing about for it to work properly, they will likely think you are
just being difficult and never use you again.

Basically, you are stuffed whatever you do.

As you say, the real purpose is to get more work for less by cutting out
the repro house - who are generally the only people who know what is
needed.

I've seen some amusingly expensive catastrophes thanks to this parsimony.
CMYK just doesn't print too well when the black channel is missing - the
publisher insisted the designer do the conversion :) 60,000 copies of a
magazine, too. But it is the only way they'll learn.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons