[filmscanners] Re: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Laurie writes:

> You may be right that it is a common practice;
> but that does not mean that it cannot come back
> to bite Microsoft.

The likelihood that it will come back to bite Microsoft is no greater than
the likelihood that it will come back to bite any other company that has
been doing it, and in the many decades of IT, I don't know of any cases in
which a company has suffered significantly from behaving in this way.

> Enron engaged in practices that apparently many
> Fortune 500 companies had been engaging in and
> it came back and bite them and a certain percentage
> of the other companies.

Some of their practices were illegal; the practice being discussed here is
not.

> Epson has exhibited similar attitudes and practices
> and has faced serveral consumer revolts by some of
> their heavy users as well as a lose in credibility
> with respect to their claims and literature.

I suspect the additional money they made as a result of such attitudes and
practices far outweighed any consumer backlash.  If this were not the case,
there wouldn't be so many companies doing these things.