[filmscanners] RE: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

>Such chips are available?

Yes.  I did not think so either until a few months ago when some one pointed
out that they were available (but expensive) and used in high end servers.
They are not readily available off the self like the 512MB and typically
sold mainly to the corporate server market by outlets specializing in that
market.

>A 32-bit address space can only span 4 gigabytes.  I can't go past 4
>gigabytes with a 32-bit architecture.

While that makes clearer what you are saying in one sense; it still is
unclear if you are saying that it is impossible to do with 32-bit
architecture or merely difficult or inefficient to do.  There is a
difference.  One is a brick wall limitation while the other is a limitation
by choice or preference.

>Perhaps where you live, but everything is more expensive in France.  And
>even at U.S. prices I didn't have enough of a budget for extras.

Alas, I have been saying that the prices may be more expensive outside the
US all along.  But I have also been suggesting that first this discussion is
not about you and your personal practical situation and second you have a
tendency to project your personal limitations on everyone else as a
universal rather than as a special case or an individual case.  I was never
talking to your individual case but always to the general case that for a
large number of users engaged in imaging on a professional level what I say
would hold, except for my statement of my experiences with LCDs.