[filmscanners] RE: Digital Darkroom Computer Builders?

Most LCDs are pretty crappy for photo editing, because their off-axis
response is so different from their on-axis response, especially vertically.
While it's possible to position your eyes directly in front of the screen,
colorimeters have sufficient acceptance angle that they can't accurately
measure these displays. Only high-end LCDs that have really wide viewing
angles can be properly calibrated.

My IBM A31P laptop has such a display, and I get good results with it,
having calibrated it with OptiCal and a Spyder. But I've also calibrated my
Nokia 21" monitor, and used ICC Inspector to compare the resulting
profiles--and the CRT has a significantly wider gamut than the LCD. (I find
this surprising, since CRTs require some hairy techniques to keep each beam
from bleeding over into the other phosphor dots and reducing the
saturation.)

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco