[filmscanners] Re: Get a Mac...Digital Darkroom Computer

On Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:11:40 +0100  Richard Walsh (soho@eircom.net) wrote:

> I think you'll find that the Mac handles colour very differently from a
> PC,
> making it the first choice of graphic professionals worldwide.

If you are talking about Colour Management, yes, that is an area that Macs
are better sorted because it is properly integrated. With Win it's a vile
lash-up where non ICM-aware apps are concerned, but then naive users won't
know or care anyhow.

To do it properly on a Windows machine requires only that you use apps
which are ICM aware and have a clue about what you are doing. But that is
all, and it's probably no bad thing. Since the machine is dumb and daft
and has to be explicitly told what to do, if it doesn't work right it's
nobody's fault but mine.

The great advantage for 'graphics professionals worldwide' is that they
don't have to have the same arcane knowledge of the OS, computer and CM in
order to use the system. Some would argue this makes them more productive.
The downside is tolerance of ignorance : this blind trust in the superior
and intuitive Mac enables some of those alleged 'graphics professionals' to
know absolutely nothing about colour management, and believe with absolute
certainty that whatever the problem they have with my photos, it cannot be
their fault.

Of course, it may be, but it's really hard to have a productive discussion
with someone who has never given CM a moment's thought, and who blames me
or Windows, or digital in general, out of religious faith. There are a very
large proportion of such people in UK magazine design, who'll click on
'don't convert' without having the faintest idea what it means.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons