[filmscanners] Re: B&W film density range

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: B&W film density range
  • From: "Cliff Rames" <crameslist@worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:07:29 -0400

Another consideration when scanning silver B&W film is the Callier effect.

On my SS4000 I measured a factor of about 1.4 with a Stouffer step
tablet, so a density of 2.7 effectively becomes 1.4 X 2.7 = 3.8, which
is certainly more than this and other scanners can handle.

Regards,
Cliff Rames

> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:53:41 -0400
> From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
> > Mr Entlich said:
>
> Er, no.  I said that.
>
> > BZZZZZT.  B&W films have very LOW density ranges in the overall
> > spectrum of
> > density ranges of films.  You're lucky if you find a density
> > range of near 2
> > from B&W print film.
> > ===============================
> > This simply is not true: an examination of film characteristics in
Adams'
> > "The Negative" for example, will show half-a-dozen examples to
> > the contrary.
> > See especially Kodak Plus-X Professional treated with selenium
> > toner.  From
> > the first usable density of 0.3 above Fb+F (Film base + Fog) to 2.7 the
> > curve is practically linear.
> >

> > George Harrison
>
> George,
>
> What I said simply IS true, directly from the Kodak data sheets.  Your
> example, first off, is using compensation development (which is not what
> most people do) and gives an overall density of 2.4 (2.7 - .3 = 2.4).
> That's still a LOT closer to 2 than it is to 3.6-4.2.
>
> Of course you can find special cases where SOME B&W films CAN give
extended
> density ranges, but that simply is not the norm.  Notice the curve for
Tri-X