[filmscanners] Re: Any opinions on Nikon Coolscan 3 LS-30?

> I'm thinking of buying one of these secondhand. This would be my first
> film scanner. What would be the maximum price I should pay for one and
> what is the quality like?

The LS-30 is pretty decent as far as optical quality is concerned. I
wouldn't pay more than $300 for it second-hand, though, for anything
more than that I'd save up and go for a newer model (LS-40 or
LS-4000).

The weakest point of the LS-30 is the strip feeder. Don't buy one
unless you have verified that the feeder works properly. The design is
bad and the plastic parts wear off with time, causing the feeder to
refuse to accept film strips that are not perfectly flat.

The strip feeder is very hard to get and expensive, btw.

  Andras