From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Jack Phipps
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 11:53 AM
To: bkubiak@attbi.com
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: What can you advise?

Congratulations Geoff! It must be exciting to be able to pursue your art
full time. I would recommend a scanner with Digital ICE. It does an
excellent job of removing defects, not just dust and scratches, but film
manufacturing defects that appear in many images. Digital ICE is
available
in Minolta, Nikon, and Benq (Acer) consumer scanners and many other
commercial scanners (Kodak, Durst, Noritsu, Gretag, Agfa, etc). Microtek
recently announced Digital ICE for their flatbed scanners as well.

Nikon and Minolta also offer scanners with Digital ROC that restores
color
to faded images and Digital GEM that removes noise (grain) from images.
Digital ROC is available as a Photoshop compatible plug in as is Digital
SHO. Digital SHO is a valuable tool that helps reveal shadow detail
without
affecting the highlights. Both plug ins are available as a free trial
from
www.asf.com.

If you are used to drum scans, you may want to consider one. They are
available on the used market and even though the technology is quite
old, it
is still the measuring stick used for scanning comparisons.

Good luck with your scanning.

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction