[filmscanners] Re: Color Misregistration (Especially Polaroid Sprintscan 120)

> I'm interested in hearing about how good color
> registration is on filmscanners in general, especially
> on the Polaroid Sprintcscan 120, which I just bought,
> and the Nikon 8000, which I apparently should have
> bought.

I've never seen any error in color registration on the 8000 at all.

I'm not sure of how either of these scanners handles colors, but some
designs would not permit misregistration.  I don't know if the Nikon design
is in that category, however.

> On my Sprintscan I am getting color misregistration
> of up to 8 pixels (at 4000dpi) in the scan direction.

My guess is a stepper motor problem, or the equivalent.

> The Infrared dust/scratch feature on the Nikon
> holds little charm for me; multi-sampling is cool,
> but not $1000 worth of cool.

Digital ICE can be a godsend for dusty or dirty slides or negatives.  When
you need it, you need it badly.  If it saves you a couple of hours
retouching on just one assignment, it has paid for itself.  The normal
setting of ICE seems to have no effect on resolution.

Multisampling buys very little, as the Nikon already sees pretty well into
the shadows.  I usually leave it set at 4x.

The worst issue with the 8000 is banding, which is sometimes visible in very
dark areas adjacent to very light areas.  You can eliminate it by switching
to a "superfine" scan, which uses only one CCD line instead of all three,
but the scan takes three times as long.  I've only found it worthwhile to do
this for occasional night shots where banding is obvious enough that I'm
willing to wait longer for the scan.