[filmscanners] Re: Help with the right scanner....

I asked a question about the Minolta MultiScan II a couple of days ago (and
never saw the answers actually since my computer went kaput a little bit 'cause
of the Scan MultiII) but.... I've just returned it.  It simply will not work on
my SCSI chain and doesn't seem to want to scan with the 120 holder alone.  So,
my problem:

Although I work and love the Minolta Scan Elite for 35mm, since I have just
started to go medium format, I need to find a scanner to work with but... i
cannot spend over $1,000., if that.   The MultiScan II was take out of catalog
by Minolta and offered at approx $700 at Samy's Camera in LA.

But.... I need to be able to scan medium format for at least 400 + output as I
am starting to do some photo-illustration for the children's books I write and
I need a scanner that can do this.  Is there any flatbed that can?  Or a medium
format scanner I don't know about that might be at least near price range????

If it were only photos only I wouldn't care as much since a publisher would
simply scan the film with a professional drum scanner, but for manipulated and
changed work, some of it not photo, I have to have it right within the work.

Any suggestions as the way to go to at least start to get what I need with 120
(645) tranparencies?

BTW, I work on a Apple powerbook G3, with SCSI and USB and I have added a
firewire card.  I am trying to stay away from any further SCSI units however
based upon this experience and rumors that Apple will not support it much
longer.

--
Sara Jane Boyers
sjzb@earthlink.net
http://www.teenpowerpolitics.com
TEEN POWER POLITICS: MAKE YOURSELF HEARD
         A Millbrook Press/Twenty-First Century Book
         VOYA's Nonfiction Honor List
         BankStreet "Best Books of 2001"
         NYPL 2001 Books for the Teen Age
         ISBN: 0-7613-1391-5, paper $9.95/ISBN 0-7613-1307-9 hardcover, $24.90
         Email me if you'd like to be on my newsletter update list!
LIFE DOESN'T FRIGHTEN ME   Stewart, Tabori & Chang
         A Publisher's Weekly "Best Book" of the Year, NYPL "Best Books for
         Teens", ALA "Book for Reluctant Readers", AIGA "50 Best Designed
        Books"
O BEAUTIFUL FOR SPACIOUS SKIES  Chronicle Books