[filmscanners] RE: Which SCSI Card for SS4000

Hi Art,

> What SCSI II cable plug does the scanner use, and what is required on
> the Card end?

Well, the simple answer to your question is it has a 50 pin Centronics type
of connector (the BIG SCSI connector, not the little HD50) as well as a 25
pin D connector, like Apple used to use for SCSI.

On the card end, anything...since you can get cables to go to<=>from any
combination.  I'd suggest simply getting an Adaptec 2940 card for use with
this scanner (for PC I assume?)...it has an HD50 connector, so you'd need a
cable that has an HD50 on one end, and the SCSI I Centronics end on the
other end.

The long answer is the SS4k, though they CLAIM it's SCSI II, it simply is
not, it's SCSI I.  I've had this discussion with Polaroid, and the SCSI
controller chip they used is SCSI I compatible, as stated on the data sheet.
Now, this is really of no consequence to most people...but the SS4k is
strictly a SCSI Asynch device, it does not support Synch transfers...so some
SCSI cards (I believe the Adaptec 2940UW I used with my SS4k did anyway)
have to have the SCSI ID that the SS4k is on setup for only Asynch in the
SCSI BIOS.

Regards,

Austin