[filmscanners] RE: Dynamic range

> > Roy,
> >

> Gee, Austin, here again you snip totally out of context.  I DIDN'T
> say the following quote.  Vincent said it and I explicitly cited
> him as the author.
>
> >> "Dynamic range is the ability to distinguish tonal differences."

I thought that this was what YOU were quoting, as it has double quotes
around it...not the whole thing.

But YOU DID write this:

> >> The numbers in the 8-bit file go from 0 to 255, in the 12-bit
> file they go
> >> from 0 to 4095.  These numbers are NOT signal values, in no way is the
> >> signal represented by the value 100 twice the size of the signal
> >> represented
> >> by the value 50.
> >
> > Well, yes it is.  It's a direct reading of voltage from the CCD.  It has
> > nothing to do with density values, the human eye, logs or
> anything.  If your
> > A/D measure, say, 1V/count...then 100 IS twice as many volts as 50.
>
> Again, this is the THIRD time I've explicitly stated that the data in
> the 8-bit file I'm talking about has been altered by Levels or Curves.
> The numbers no longer resemble the output of the A/D of the scanner.

But how does that matter?  The 8 bit file does NOT NOT NOT have the same
dynamic range as the 16 bit file, unless the data in the 16 bit file didn't
even have 8 bits worth of dynamic range in the first place.

> I really feel like pulling an Austin, here.  How about this out of context
> snip from the above paragraph:

That's not fair, Roy.  The ONLY thing that was apparently NOT said by you
was the paragraph YOU included but did not quote OR put ">" marks on.  The
rest WAS yours, right???  How is someone supposed to keep track of what you
say and not say, if you don't clearly demarcate it?

Austin