[filmscanners] RE: Dynamic range

Hi Roy,

With your arguments a 1 bit file has the same dynamic range as a 16 bits
file because value 0 in a 1 bit file represents the same black level as
value 0 in a 16 bits file and value 1 in a 1 bit file represents the same
white level as value 65335 in a 16 bits file. This is of course not the
case. Dynamic range is the ability to distinguish tonal differences. If a
certain system is able to distinguish pure black and a slightly less black
and at the same time is able to distinguish pure white and a little less
white we say that its dynamic range is large. So the number of bits relates
to the dynamic range and 8 bits system have, in general, a lower dynamic
range then 16 bits systems. It doesn't mater if you are talking about files,
scanners, digital cameras or any other system.

Thanks,
Vincent