[filmscanners] Re: Dynamic range

Austin,

> > I have never read whatever paper you are talking about, but I
> > GUARANTEE you
> > it does not SAY that dynamic range is a resolution.  I am sure that you,
> > Austin, INTERPRET it to say that, but it will not actually say that.
>
>You probably should have read the paper before commenting...

But no, that is the point. I don't need to because I know that no paper
will say what you believe - you are mistaken in this and still, to this
date, after buckets of wasted electrons and keyboard hours, you have still
not produced a single reference that says what you say.  I gave you this
totally unsupported challenge as a free kick - you had absolutely every
chance to smother me in extracts from this paper that I have  not even
looked at with quotes that agree with you.  The fact that you have not done
so I think proves the point.

> > Austin, if you have a scanner with a noise level of 36dB below the max
> > signal (i.e. 3.6D or 1/4096),
>
>No, where did you get 3.6D???  You can't equate DENSITY values with DYNAMIC
>RANGE.  Density values are absolute things, like volts are, though density
>units are expressed in log form.  They are NOT relative to noise.

Good grief Austin, you are playing semantics.  I only included the 3.6D to
stop you from having a go at me for using dB in an area that usually we use
Bels.  I should have said Bels, except no-one understands what they are.
Forget the D, I wasn't referring to density absolute, I was using it as the
Bel version of 36dB.  You have used this semantic and unrelated
approximation of mine as your only argument below. It is not relevant, I do
understand what D is about, I was trying to protect myself and readers from
another of your interminable side branches designed to get you off the topic.

> > I am sure you'd agree that you need a 12 bit
> > downstream system to maximise the utility of this scanner.
> > (because 12 bits
> > digitises to 4096 levels, and one level is then just equal to the noise
> > level of 1/4096 * max signal.  You won't have wasted bits being lost below
> > the noise, and you won't waste good information by failing to digitise the
> > smallest possible discernable signal)
>
>That's correct, but don't confuse density values with dynamic range.
>
> > Call this Case 0.
> > ***The dynamic range is 36dB.  I say that is the RANGE of this
> > scanner, you say it is the RESOLUTION.  In this case it is both.
> > ***So, resolution also = 36dB.
>
>Well, no.  As I've said, you are confusing density values with dynamic
>range.

Now that I've removed the D equivalent, can you make a substantive comment
on the point that was being made?

> > CASE 1
> > ********
> > Now, if this same scanner only had a 10-bit downstream system
> > (such as from
> > the old days when A/D's were incredibly expensive), what is the dynamic
> > range?  The noise level is 1/4096, and the smallest digital
> > non-zero signal
> > is one bit or 1/1024.   Obviously the minimum usable or detectable signal
> > cannot be smaller than either of these, or in other words it is
> > the maximum
> > or the two figures.  In this case it is 1024, and the MDS is determined
> > ONLY by the bit-size.   Noise level is 4 times smaller than this, so is
> > irrelevant.  So DR is 1024:1 or 30dB or D3.0.
>
>The dynamic range IS 1024:1 or 30dB...but that has nothing to do with
>DENSITY values.

I am not discussing density values.  I am discussing dynamic range and only
dynamic range as you know, so please reframe your response accordingly and
stop this disingenuous nonsense.

>This scanner can, technically, still encode ANY range of
>DENSITY values into those 1024 available values.

As you once said, duh!

> > ***In this case DR = 30 dB
> > ***Resolution is still 36dB if you stick with your formula = max/noise, or
> > 30dB as it obviously is in fact, given you have a digital step size of
> > 1/1024 or 30dB.
>
>Well, here you go again, Julian...and this is why I get pissy with you.  You
>take things out of context and apply them to something else.  I NEVER said
>the MDS was ALWAYS noise.  In the case of the ORIGINAL SIGNAL, it is noise,
>in the case of the digitized signal, it is NOT noise.

Well Austin, let me quote one of many interminable exchanges where I was
tearing my hair out because you were insisting that MDS was noise.  Please
note carefully the contradiction, clear and unambiguous between these two
statements:

A)  "I NEVER said the MDS was ALWAYS noise. " - from this post

B1) "The "smallest discernable signal" IS noise." - from post in June

B2) "This is a misunderstanding of the concept of dynamic range. It is ALWAYS
based on noise." - post in June

B3) "Noise and "smallest discernable signal" are EXACTLY the same thing." -
post in June.

I have struggled for months to get you to agree that noise and MDS are not
the same thing, and now you tell me you have always thought this!!  I am
pleased that you are coming round, but flabbergasted at the same time.

Here is the exchange for the record so you don't accuse me of taking you
out of context: