[filmscanners] RE: No subject was specified.

Hi Michael,

> I'm with David Littleboy on this one, which I think is essentially
> where Austin is, but Austin often loses his point in vitriol

I'm quite sorry about that...I've been "dealing" with Roy's posts on this
subject for probably a year now...this has "happened" on a few lists where
he stealthily tries to bring his "views" on this up...and his "tactics" are
quite frustrating as well as very time consuming.  I believe I try to be
cordial and respectful with most everyone (heck, even Arthur ;-) but I have
really lost patience with Roy...after so many months and probably a hundred
or more hours of this...I know I get quite short and sarcastic in some of my
posts, but nothing seems to get anywhere with him.

> and fails
> to stop before tripping over poorly expressed constructs.

That's a new one, would you do me a favor and point one where I've done
that?

> After the volts, after the decibels, what a scanner's
> dynamic range provides is essentially the potential to describe and
> resolve more or fewer discreet steps between the sensor's minimum
> resolvable density and its maximum resolvable density above noise.

That's a very good way of putting it.

> scanner's dynamic range should be expressed as a ratio, though that's
> just my personal preference.

I agree.  The Leafscan, says 5000:1 in the literature for it's dynamic range
specification ;-)

>    What I'd like to know is how a scanner's sample resolution impacts
> dynamic range,

Hum, well, in short...a scanners sampling resolution has no impact on
dynamic range.  It's another "dimension".  Look at the number of bits per
pixel as the "Z" axis, and the scanner resolution as the "X" and "Y" axes.

> and whether there is a way, short of volts and decibels,
> to quantify the impact of resolution on dynamic range, since I see no
> conceivable way that a 300 spi scanner can match the dynamic range of a
> 4000 spi scanner with all else being equal.

I don't seen how dynamic range has anything to do with how many samples per
inch your scanner can provide, at least the dynamic range we're talking
about.  Dynamic range, that we are talking about here, is simply a
characterization of the scanners capability of measuring density at ONE
sample spot, and it doesn't matter how many sample "spots" you have, or how
close together they are...

Regards,

Austin