[filmscanners] Re: Dynamic range

on 8/29/02 1:15 PM, Austin Franklin wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
>> This paper appears to speak to many of the issues discussed in
>> this thread:
>>
>> <http://www.analog.com/library/whitepapers/dsp/32bit_wa.html#3>
>
> I had a chance to look over that paper.  The diagram you mention (I believe
> you were referring to the sinusoidal wave +-5V signal...) that looked like
> the Higgins one, though is similar, is being used to show an example of 2's
> compliment arithmetic.  Nothing really to do with dynamic range, as far as
> our discussion that is.

No man, I said: sec. 3.1, fig. 5, which illustrates DyR as a range
between the "noise floor" and "distortion region".

As per the rest, I'm really trying hard to move this AWAY from this being a
conversation of bit depth because I think bit depth is particular to digital
devices, which DyR is not. I'm trying to discuss the CONCEPT of DyR,
specifically whether is a resolution or a range.

Todd