[filmscanners] Re: SS4000 fixes to improve quality--dust removal

The brush you speak of is designed for a very specific purpose.
Polaroid found that the light reactive sensor which reads the location
of the film carrier could become covered with dust over time (I haven't
actually looked for it, but it is probably slightly recessed so the dust
may fall into that little grove).

If this sensor gets obscured, the motor that moves the carrier in its
gross positioning, gets "confused" and the carrier continues to move in
and out trying to find the "lock".  Eventually, the firmware or software
can kick in and tells you you have a jammed or misled carrier.

This little brush used every so often, which attaches to the film
carrier, sweeps this little sensor area to assure it is kept clear of dust.

It has no effect on the internal optical path.

Art