From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Joe Pedit
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 6:03 AM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] "Halo" Effect

Hi Art,

Thank you for your comments.  I left out some additional information for
the sake of brevity in my original post.  I also scanned the slide
(Provia 100F) in different orientations (e.g., sideways, upside down,
reversed) to check if the blue and red flares were a scanning artifact.
  The flares noted in my original post do not follow the stars when the
orientation is changed.  Instead, their size and location is always
proportional to the vertical distance from the centerline as seen by the
scanner.  In the original scan, a star located near the center of the
left edge would not have the red and blue flares.  When the slide is
rotated 90 degrees clockwise, from the point of view of the scanner the
star is now located near the center along the top edge.  That star would
now show the red and blue flares when it did not in the original scan.
It was based on this additional information that I assumed the red and
blue flares were a scanning artifact.

I would like to use slide film (E200, Provia 100F and 400F) for my
astrophotography because of its higher contrast, lower grain, and lower
reciprocity failure compared to color negative films (Supra 400, Royal
Gold 400).  Unfortunately, the flares and other problems associated with
scanning dense slides make the use of slide film difficult with the SS4000.

Joe