[filmscanners] NikonScan questions

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] NikonScan questions
  • From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:09:12 +0200

For experienced NikonScan users;
1. Scanning slide strips (x6 frames) in batch (using strip film motorized
adapter) into Photoshop
   (NS is opened as twain) I scanned them into PS (keeping in memory) rather
then automatically
   saving to HDD. Now, trying to run that for 4-6 frames of 12 bit each one
(up to 70 MB per
   frame) I occasionally stumble into PS slowing down drastically swapping
heavily on HDD even though having half GB RAM. I thought this is the case
for switching on "Save to file" option for batch scan. However, I discovered
I cannot set this option in NikonScan while running it as twain
"Import" application through PS, while opening NS as stand alone allows this
option.
Any ideas ? Is it normal for NS to disable this option for batch scanning
once running it though PS ?

2. A while ago, working on my old machine I was able to check Analog Gain
affect at various settings I set pressing "Preview" button and the software
(NS) would simulate it instantly (a matter of second or two) instead of
scanning the preview again with new gain settings.
Now, after I commenced to work on my new machine, I cannot reproduce that.
Each time I want to check Analog Gain set manually, hitting "Preview" starts
scanning process again with altered gain  instead of just simulation.
I didn't find any setting in NS UI to enable the Analog Gain simulation
instead of rescanning.
Can I do that ?
BTW, I always run the NS though PS, perhaps this is a problem ?

3. Checking memory consumption during scanning and image editing in PS7,
running NS as twain "Import" application I noticed the PS doesn't free the
memory after the image being scanned edited, saved to disk and the image
window being closed. Scanning the strip of frames it consumes the amount of
the memory it takes, but then keeps it even after the image windows were
closed.
So, starting next strip the system have no available RAM and start
scratching the disk heavily
right from the beginning.

Any ideas ?

Regards,