[filmscanners] RE: OT: Film processing costs (WAS: Re:Prints from scans ...are there reallydifferences any more?)

My understanding is that Toronto, Canada, is and has been off and on the
most expensive place in North America, followed by New York and, at one
time, Vancouver (right after the Chinese flight from Hong Kong).  Most of
the large American cities are more expensive than the smaller ones in the
country; but they are not that much more expensive than elsewhere (except
possibly New York).  I also think you have a misconception about both the
distribution of incme in the US as well as the costs of film processing in
the US outside of the mail order and large major metropolitan areas which
tend to be much cheaper than is the average case in everyday America.  For
instance, where I live, it costs $2.25 per 4x5 sheet (with a minimum of 4
sheets) of E-6 to have it processed. It must be removed from the holders
when brought to the lab or there will be an extra charge for taking the film
out of the holders; push/pull processing is also extra.  Normal turn around
time during the weed (lab is closed on weekends) is about 2 hours with an
extra charge of double for rush service (i.e., 1 hour service).  While
contact sheets for color C-41 films are about $6.00 to $8.00 an 8x10 sheet,
processing the film can run from from $6.00 to $12.00 depending on the
number of exposures on the roll and the format of the roll (if it is roll
film) and $2.10 per 4x5 sheet with a minimum of four sheets.  Turnaround
times are 2-4 working days with rush charges of double for 1/2 the
turnaround time and triple the charges for 1/4 the normal turnaround times.
Processing and proofing with color corrected 4x5 proof prints of a 10 frame
roll of 6x7 runs about $15.00.