[filmscanners] Re: "Halo" Effect

I can think of a few potential causes.  One may be just the way you have
the software set up in terms of gamma or contrast, however, this can
also occur due to a dirty optical path, due to dust, smoke, or other
household pollutants coating the lens, and mirrors or other optical
surfaces within the scanner.  The SS4000/+ is very "open" to the outside
environment, and I keep the one I use under a static free plastic cover
when not in use.  There are no smokers here, and it is a good distance
from any kitchen residue.

Unfortunately, film scanners aren't easy to clean oneself in most cases,
so if this is the case, you may need to have it professionally cleaned
by Polaroid.  I don't know what they charge.

Art