[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanner] No subject was specified

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanner] No subject was specified
  • From: "Michael O'Connor" <omichael@optonline.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:33:04 -0400

Hi Austin,

  >The real point wasn't about what a scanner scans at, but what the
file is
>saved at...and it isn't saved as dots, it's saved as pixels with some
other
>dimensional unit.<

  I wasn't really looking to extend this. As I said, I always use PPI
myself when referring to files, and I correct people when they use DPI,
but really, its a convention, and if you open the file as text there are
neither dots nor pixels, so any term you use isn't really that precise.
Not too many years back a Director of Publishing Production and
Manufacturing actually thought that film for 4C/P was color, amazing,
but true, though since everyone referred to it as "color film", and he'd
never actually seen it, it wouldn't have been a totally stupid
assumption if you didn't consider his position. There are, too, many
people who assume that an image file is actually, in form, a picture,
made up of colored pixels or dots, but the convention of using ppi
rather than dpi isn't going to change that understanding.

>Can you show me where I can do that?  In the "Image/Image Size..." I
only
>see "pixels" and "percent" for "Pixel Dimensions", and only see
"pixels/cm"
>and "pixels/inch" for "Resolution".  In "File/Save" there is no option
for
>that...  I'm using 6.0.1 on the PC.<

  My point is again imprecision of language, and how, sometimes, you
need to accept it, and understand that no options are pristinely
accurate. So I'm ragging on your imprecision, though I know what you
meant. There are countless ways of saving your image in dots using
photoshop, the easiest being to save it as a halftone, which of course
brings in lpi, but the image described definitely comprises dots.

  PPI is a Photoshop convention, but there are many other image editors
out there, and many of them use DPI for what you and I and Photoshop
refer to as PPI. And Adobe certainly isn't infallible, at least in older
Acrobat literature they preserved the term "monochrome" for bitmaps, and
I've heard lots of people in graphics arts related fields, many that
should know better, stress a distinction between monochrome and
grayscale, which galls me no end...especially when they think they're
correcting me.

Michael O