[filmscanners] RE: dpi - formerly PS sharpening

Anthony,

> The DPI setting of the file is just an information field,

Exactly what field is it, and in what file format are you talking about?

> A few
> programs look at the DPI setting when you select options like "display at
> actual print size" or when you try to print a file.

"Display actual print size", I don't believe, nor do I see how, has anything
to do with any DPI that NIGHT be stored in the image file from the scanning
process.  If the print size stated is 4x6, it'll display it at ~4x6 on the
monitor.  The dimensional information (4" width and 6" height) are stored in
the file, that's a given.  It, of course, uses the MONITORs DPI information
to figure out how to display it at 4x6, but that has nothing to do, as I
said, with any (scanning) DPI that MIGHT be stored in the file.  The two
"DPI"s are unrelated.

Austin