[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest forFri 9 Aug,2002-Firnware

Firmware is the programming which is held within the peripheral.  It is
held in one or more flash memory or other types of chips.  Usually,
firmware contains information which is necessary for the basic functions
of the peripheral or information that the computer or OS needs to "know"
about the peripheral.  It is a bit like the BIOS for a motherboard of a
computer.  In scanners it can alter things like how calibration
sequences are done, how motors engage, and other things.  In the past,
this stuff was permanently burned into a chip, and required a chip
exchange to alter it (it it was socketed).  Today the chips which store
this info can be accessed and written to via software and can be altered
with a small program provided by the manufacturer.

Art