Apache-Talk @lexa.ru 

Inet-Admins @info.east.ru 

Filmscanners @halftone.co.uk 

Security-alerts @yandex-team.ru 

nginx-ru @sysoev.ru 

   


   


   















      :: Filmscanners
Filmscanners mailing list archive (filmscanners@halftone.co.uk)

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[filmscanners] RE: IV ED dynamic range... DYNAMIC RANGE!


  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: IV ED dynamic range... DYNAMIC RANGE!
  • From: "Kapetanakis, Constantine" <KAPETAC@polaroid.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:19:16 -0400
  • Unsubscribe: mailto:listserver@halftone.co.uk

What the ISO people don't have is the target. You need a film based target,
any other non film based target will give "garbage" data.


-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Franklin [mailto:darkroom@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 11:51 AM
To: KAPETAC@polaroid.com
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: IV ED dynamic range... DYNAMIC RANGE!


Hi Clark

The ISO has basically opined on a standardized test for specifying the
dynamic range of a scanner.  Hopefully, manufacturers will use it...

BTW, I believe what Constantine is discussing is dMax, not dynamic
range...they aren't (typically) the same.  Either way, it is good to
actually test these things (dMax, dMin and dynamic range/noise in the
system), not simply add more bits to the A/D and claim a higher range etc.
...because the bits may not be "good" (as in real information...could simply
be noise).

Regards,

Austin

> HI, Constantine!
>
> I disagree--- if the competition insists on using bogus specs, you should
> stay above that, and point out the fact that the competitor's specs ARE
> bogus, and why.
>
> Educate the consumer, don't try to BS us!   It's been tried before by all
> sorts of industries, with generally bad outcomes in the long
> term.  (look at
> the High Fidelity Audio community for example!)
>
> Thanx!
>
> Guy Clark
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Kapetanakis, Constantine [mailto:KAPETAC@polaroid.com]
> Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 9:58 AM
> To: Clark Guy
> Subject: [filmscanners] RE: IV ED dynamic range... DYNAMIC RANGE!
>
>
> You are right. The max optical density of our ss120 scanner as an
> example is
> about 3.6~3.7. We measure this we a slide we made in house on Velvia film.
> Each step on the gray scale is .1 density units different and we
> look at the
> point of clipping as the maximum density.
>  However, when Nikon starts advertising theoretical maximums of 4.2 ( 14
> bits) then we have to start advertising the same way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------
Unsubscribe by mail to listserver@halftone.co.uk, with 'unsubscribe
filmscanners'
or 'unsubscribe filmscanners_digest' (as appropriate) in the message title
or body

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsubscribe by mail to listserver@halftone.co.uk, with 'unsubscribe 
filmscanners'
or 'unsubscribe filmscanners_digest' (as appropriate) in the message title or 
body



 




Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.