From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Arthur Entlich
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 12:40 AM
To: alexz@zoran.co.il
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Switch from Win98SE to XP?

Hi Julie,

I also built my system, using an Asus MB and have a Plextor writer.  I'm
currently using Win 98Se, with better success than WIN 95 afforded, and
was considering going to Win2K to get firewire, if nothing else.  I do
know that Win2K was targeted to business markets more than the home
personal computer and I think that the drivers either within it or from
manufacturers of hardware (and even software) are less robust on
occasion due to addressing a much smaller (home) audience, and therefore
less time and energy went into those drivers (If they were even written)
  when they are supporting devices which were less likely to be found in
a business environment.

Not having used Win2K, I am only speculating, but I've gathered that
using newer devices (like no ISA cards, as an example) and searching out
the most recent drivers can lessen the pain.  I take it that bridging
home computers to Win2K can be more difficult, but that once your system
has been stabilized it is much more dependable.

In terms of XP, another OS I haven't used, I have been told the pro
version is the safest way to go.

Art

Julie Cooke wrote:

> I built my system (Asus motherboard) from scratch and installed Win2K.
I've
> had various problems and wouldn't choose Win2K again. I had to disable the
> default setting of switching the PC to standby after a time of inactivity,
> as I could not recover from this! I suspected this was a problem of Win2K
> and my motherboard.
>
> The most annoying problem was that operating system didn't recognise new
CDs
> unless I rebooted. This turned out to be a program in the startup that
once
> removed fixed the problem. So this now works for my main CD drive but not
> for the Plextor CD writer, which I can't read from.
>
> Not very important but the sound no longer works after a media player was
> installed and uninstalled. A lot of the problems with Win2K seem to be
> software related. I will change to Windows XP and might even buy a Mac
next
> time as I've no patience for sorting out hardware problems!
>
> As an experienced programmer, NT is the least hassle operating system I've
> used but I don't think it supports colour management. I would advise
trying
> Windows XP.
>
> Julie

XP
> Pro.
> My Win2K crashed completely so that whole system has collapsed (including
> even breaking RAID 1 array) after my stupid games with BIOS DRAM settings.
> I decided to jump up to this opportunity to move further to XP Pro being
> convinced by my friend
> (who is experienced programmer and photo amateur and scanner user just
like
> me).
> Initially I was hesitating from the similar reasons mentioned by one of
our
> fellow listener striving to avoid new, potentially buggy things, but after
> consulting with the friend of mine and inquiring several XP Pro and Nikon
IV