[filmscanners] Re: Disabling right-click,etc. (was: Web home page writing software)

Whether the creator of a work of art is an egomaniac or not in regard to
the "value" of their work is not really relevant.  No one knows
categorically if an artist's output will ultimately become valuable to
others of not.  The formula for artistic success is a mix or timing,
serendipity, hype, investment of time and money, making the right
friends, living in the right place, exposure, and dozens of other bits
of magic and fairy dust.

What is ultimately important is if you wish to restrict your creations
from being used or abused by others, or if you wish to be paid by anyone
who would be willing to do so.

You, as the creator of your work, have a legal and ethical right to
protect it from misuse or unpaid use. You also have the right to choose
not to protect it, or to give it away (and I have seen an amazing
collection of images offered for free on web sites).

Just because someone doesn't think the work in question is worthwhile
protecting from theft doesn't make it so.  Many of Van Gogh's works were
used to fill in holes in the plaster and lathe in buildings where he
left dozens of his finished canvases behind.

It is up to the individual artist to determine the amount of time,
energy and money he wishes to spend protecting his work.  It is also up
to him as to how much he wishes to charge for it.

The ONLY absolutes I see here are that an artist's work is his own to do
as he pleases, and that there is no moral authority to take or copy
other people's creations even if it is easy to do so, unless the artist
has agreed to it.

Art